This lowly blog chronicles the life-altering experiences of a certain beloved Chicagoan. As he establishes his
identity in the United Kingdom, he shall post *semi-regular* updates regarding his year-long endeavor. Please do
enjoy these baffled thoughts; it might help to sip some tea while doing so. Cheers!

Thursday 7 October 2010

Class

HEY so it's been a while. My apologies: it turns out that though having class twice a week (Monday and Tuesday) does leave room for massive amounts of procrastination, I am still insanely busy.

Here is my finalized schedule for the year:

Autumn Semester
Reasons for Action (Philosophy) Lecture
Reasons for Action (Philosophy) Seminar
American Literature 1: To 1900 Lecture
American Literature 1: To 1900 Seminar
International Studies
Paideia II Capstone

Spring Semester
Introduction to the Study of Religion Lecture
The Twentieth Century: Forms in Transition Lecture
The Twentieth Century: Forms in Transition Seminar
International Studies
Great Britain: An Oral History

Photo tour of campus to come? We'll see.

Each University course (both seminar and lecture) is about an hour long. So far I am required to read a book a week for each class. My International Studies course is year-long, and involves us visiting various places around the UK. My Paideia II course involves interviewing local Nottinghamshire folk (professors, shop owners, government officials) about the ethical implications of their work.

So far my classes have been AWESOME. I was a bit intimidated at first, though. The GIGANTIC campus may have contributed to that a little. Also, British students have been specializing in their field of interest since the age of 14. This means that their knowledge of American Literature and Philosophy far exceeds my own. Okay, maybe that's not true. Joe and I were the only ones to have read The Scarlet Letter previously. (Though why anyone in the entire WORLD would want to read that is beyond me.) I was told that British students know a lot about nothing, as compared to American students who know very little about a lot. I was also told to ask an English major here a mathematical question, and see what happens.

Meh. I haven't made any friends yet. The lectures are quite large (100+ students), and I'm pretty shy in seminar. But we'll see. I did meet a few people in the societies I joined, so that was cool. They like to go out to pubs EVERY DAY and I can't understand it. How does one acquire monies!?

Speaking of monies, that whole viola-church-AMAZING OPPORTUNITY thing didn't work out. I went to a service, where I was informed by the director there that this year is a "quiet year". They have one concert this weekend, and another in the summer after I go home. Oh well. I guess I should start working on my resumé.

Anyway, I'll write another post soon about my first Flair Society experience (bottle flipping and all.) In the meantime, here's a picture of a guy crying because he doesn't have any British monies.

I would hire him.

Yours,


No comments:

Post a Comment